Saturday, June 02, 2007

Smart Habit Saturday--Oh, How I Used to Love the Mail...

It's Saturday again, and that means it is time to reflect on the last smart habit I tried to establish, and implement a new one.

This week, I am going to start going through the mail and getting rid of it each day it arrives. I used to love getting mail, but now I get junk, and bills, and more junk...and occasionally something I am interested in. Thus, I have developed a bad habit of looking through the mail, pulling out what I am interested in, and leaving the junk for another day. When I finally sort it, it becomes several little piles--shred, discard, pay, reply, magazines to read, etc. I have grown to hate all these little piles that clutter up my living room. I want to start sorting the mail and doing everything that needs to be done in regard to it on the day it arrives (except, maybe, for reading the magazines that day). My family will certainly appreciate our living room being paperless!

Last week's smart habit was to reduce to one per day the amount of diet coke I drink. I succeeded every day, even going without diet coke at all one day, until today, the start of a new week, when I have had 2 1/2...okay, yes, it's soon to be three...diet cokes. So, I feel pretty good about it, but need to regain control after today!

What's your Smart Habit? Join Lara over at the Lazy Organizer to share what you are working on this week.

4 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

It is always better to handle things once than it is to keep handling them ... I heard that from somewhere and it works for me :) !!

Good luck this week!

Rebecca said...

I know what you mean about piles. I finally cleared a large one off my kitchen counter, after throwing out 2/3's I now have a small pile to file and a few odds & ends to put away. Good job on your last habit & good luck on this one!

P.S. If this posts twice I'm sorry. It didn't look like it went through the first time but I'm not positive.

Mrs. O said...

I am sitting here looking at my piles (I ended up tossing them into an empty laundry basket to deal with them after company left) and it makes me think I need a Dr. Pepper.

You are so right - try to touch each piece of mail only 3 times - it's hard.

Best of luck to you this week.

Robin said...

Mail is my nemesis. Handle once... handle once... handle once...

Have a great week!