Wednesday, April 25, 2007

NPM: Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets. I did a major paper on her work during college. Here are a few selections in honor of National Poetry Month.

IF tolling bell I ask the cause

IF tolling bell I ask the cause.
“A soul has gone to God,”
I ’m answered in a lonesome tone;
Is heaven then so sad?

That bells should joyful ring to tell
A soul had gone to heaven,
Would seem to me the proper way
A good news should be given.


GIVEN in marriage unto thee

GIVEN in marriage unto thee,
Oh, thou celestial host!
Bride of the Father and the Son,
Bride of the Holy Ghost!

Other betrothal shall dissolve,
Wedlock of will decay;
Only the keeper of this seal
Conquers mortality.


and perhaps the one I enjoy the most...


SUCCESS is counted sweetest

SUCCESS is counted sweetest
By those who ne’er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory,

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Break, agonized and clear.

No comments: