Friday, April 13, 2007

Male Superiority is Not Dead




I was reviewing my son's math homework last night when I noticed his answer to the following question:

Sally wants to water her garden. Circle the container she should use. Tell why.

Next to this question were two pictures. One was of a small watering can and one was of a large watering can. Boss Boy had circled the smaller watering can. Here is his response:

Because it is not hevy (sic) and Sally is a girl. And girls can't hold it.

From that response, I honestly couldn't tell if he was discussing the watering cans or the bathroom, but suffice it to say, Mom had a chat with him last night.
Well, actually, after turning away so he wouldn't see her laugh, she asked Dad to have a chat with him. Of course, it isn't very effective when Dad asks in front of the boy what he is supposed to say. Finally, my sweetie coughed up this: "Next time, it would be better to circle the large watering can and write that her brother is going to carry it for her."

Thanks, hon, that's not exactly what I meant for you to say. :)

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Chivalry is dead!

Tara said...

Why not let her brother help? "Two are better than one" has become one of my favorite sayings--especially while making a bed or reaching for something on a high shelf or carrying something heavy.

Slava Bogu said...

Tara, while I think it would be selfless and sweet of him to carry it, my problem (which admittedly may harken back to my pre-Christian, feminist days, although I have seen the folly of much of that) was in his automatic assumption that because Sally was a girl, she simply could not carry it.

Remember, we are talking about watering cans here, not a heavy box of lumber or something. I guess I do not want him to think girls are incapable of doing all things. Yes, we are the weaker sex, and despite generations of women futiley (is that a word) trying to prove God wrong, that is not going to change. However, girls are capable of many things, and carrying a watering can is one of them. I guess his response was actually sweet, but I was so shocked by his basic asumption, I didn't know whether to laugh or lecture.