Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Forgiveness

Our church is reading through the Bible together this year. Recently, my daily Bible reading included this passage:

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' you must forgive him." Luke 17:3-4, ESV

Now, many of us, including myself, have read and studied this passage numerous times. We know that we are to forgive as our Father has forgiven us--repeatedly. For some reason, though, it struck me the day I read this that not only am I to continue to forgive, I am to do so even if additional violations happen the same day, provided my children say that they repent. Not only should I do so, I must do so.

I don't know about you, but I am guilty of having a suspicious spirit occasionally. When my children lie, and say they are sorry, and yet lie or disobey seven more times that day, I am no longer inclined to believe their apology and extend forgiveness. I question their sincerity, because I believe repentance includes turning from a wrong action or heart attitude to a right action or heart attitude. While I know that as parents, we must examine our children's hearts, and help them by modelling what true repentance looks like, I was challenged that I have been in error to not have a forgiving spirit to them no matter how often they sin in one day.

I desire to be a doer of the word, not a hearer only, so I am encouraging my husband and friends to help keep me accountable in this area. :)

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I am glad to hear this because I am oft in need of forgiveness.