Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mission Possible

I finally completed a project. After a crazy year of constant interruption, a year with little commitment to anything other than family, a year where everything has spun wildly out of control, I have finally finished a project I set out to do. Today, I completed my first sewing machine project--a dress for my daughter. Granted, it took me six months from the time I started on it, but the satisfaction of finally finishing something is indescribable.

Infinitely more satisfying was my daughter's reaction. She didn't notice that the zipper didn't exactly match up or that the ribbon wasn't precisely flush when it met. She just twirled endlessly in the dress with a full skirt, reveling in the fact that mommy made it just for her. She felt beautiful and wanted to wear it the rest of the day.

To make my daughter's heart happy while accomplishing something serviceable felt useful to me.

It is amazing how good it is to feel useful.

A special thanks goes out to a dear friend who helped me learn where to begin with patterns and helped me make it to the end of the project. If you get some wild, wacky, crazily sewn gifts from me in the near future, you can thank her!

No comments: