Sunday, July 02, 2006

Beach Times

Last week, our family vacationed at a beach on the Gulf of Mexico. With three young children, it wasn't quite as relaxing as I remember the beach being in the past, but we still had a great time. Here are a few pictures:

It was definitely interesting to spend a week with extended family--differing points of view on a variety of issues, different disciplinary styles, and, for my only real complaint, some were **morning people** (gasp) who love to bang open cabinet doors and talk loudly even when 5 children under the age of eight are sleeping (not to mention their parents).

Still, it was great to spend time with family, to have the kids not only see their 86 year old great-grandmother swimming, but to have her teach them how to swim better. Our oldest son particularly enjoyed walks with her on the beach. My mom had two of our three children floating on their backs in the water by the end of the week and partnered with me to solidly whip my sister and my husband in "friendly" games of Spades. :)

Okay, okay, I might have lost a game or two myself.

My nephew got himself into all sorts of trouble...it was especially funny to see an eighteen month old walk down the hall banging a toilet plunger to punctuate his every step. He lived like a king around his Grandmommie and Granny, after all. My niece and my daughter went to bed close to their regular bed times, but kept themselves up later than the adults on occasion as they enjoyed their week long slumber party in the girls room.

Both of my sons are swimming now after a week in the ocean and the pool. The real surprise came with our younger son, who although he is frightened, actually swam with the best stroke of any of the kids with us when made to do it. The decision to make him learn despite his fear came after his second or third jump into the deep end of the pool.

We had a wonderful time and the kids are already asking when we are going back to the beach. Luckily for them, no one will want to go back more than I! The sooner the better!! As for what we will do this week now that vacation is over...why, go to the pool of course! Isn't summer wonderful?

No comments: